Oxford Union debate: Is Iran a Wolf in Sheep’s clothing?

14 Mar

“This House Believes Iran is Just a Wolf in Sheep’s Clothing”.

This was the title of the debate held at Oxford University on the 6th of March this year.

According to the website of Rabbi Shmuley Boteach who participated in the debate, there were four people on the proposition side and three on the side of the opposition.

On the side of of the proposition were:

• Rabbi Shmuley Boteach, known as “America’s Rabbi” and founder of the Oxford University L’Chaim Society
  • Mayank Banerjee, Treasurer, St. John’s College
  • Nazenin Ansari, exiled Iranian journalist and former President of the Foreign Press Association in London
  • Dr. Alon Ben-Meir, a passionate proponent of the Arab Peace Initiative, regularly serving as diplomatic negotiator between Arab and Israeli officials

On the side of the opposition were:

• Crawford Jamieson, Librarian, Trinity College
  • Shlomo Sand, Israeli historian and author of “The Invention of Jewish People
  • Hooman Majd, Iranian-American journalist and author of “The Ayatollah’s Democracy”

The opposition won the debate by 50 votes.

Rabbi Boteach, who it turns out has Iranian parents wrote about his experience at the debate here.
Here is a clip. It looks interesting. Unfortunately the video of the whole debate is not yet available. I look forward to watching it if and when it becomes available.

29 Responses to “Oxford Union debate: Is Iran a Wolf in Sheep’s clothing?”

1. Anonymous March 18, 2014 at 8:28 pm #

Mier, where can we watch the entire debate?

2. Iran Policy Committee Publishing April 13, 2014 at 4:57 am #

Meir Javedanfar: As you may recall, the farmer was so taken by the Wolf’s pretense that the farmer “inadvertently” attacked the wolf. The moral? If rogue regimes Intend harm, they may be harmed.

Applied to the Iranian regime, I am of the opinion that it plans to breakout to become a nuclear-weapon capable status before inspectors can detect. Then I expect the regime to use coercive diplomacy against Israel and launch a preemptive strike once armed with the bomb and if Tehran believes Israel is about to attack Iranian nuclear sites.

Am not optimistic the Geneva-Vienna talks will succeed in a permanent accord by 20 July; but even if they do, I believe the Israeli war cabinet will coalesce around the Prime Minister and Defense Minister to launch an attack. My views are informed by having made many research and teaching trips to Israel and personal knowledge of both Bibi and Bogie. At issue is whether Barack, whom I do not know, will decide to do the job Israel can begin but not end.

My preference is to favor regime change from within Iran by western nations using soft power to facilitate the downfall of the regime. Resume crippling trade and financial sanctions, support political aspirations of the Iranian people and their dissident movements as well as facilitate the work of formal organizations; rather than to focus on diplomacy that bolsters the regime against an American ally (Israel) or the conduct of problematic military action by Jerusalem and/or Washington, western nations should use soft power to foment a “color revolution” in Iran, which the Supreme Leader and Pasdaran suspect is the case but I do not believe it is at this time.

See my posts about prospects for failure of the nuclear talks:

At Midterm, Iran’s Implementation of Nuclear Obligations Gets an ‘F’

After Failure in the Iran Nuclear Talks, What?

Raymond Tanter

3. Frank July 23, 2014 at 1:06 am #

Please note that SPF of 15 or higher is the recommended SPF in sunscreens especially for children. Our sweat (containing uric and lactic acids) and
    body oils promote this acidic environment. Commercial shaving
    creams usually consist of some sort of animal-based or hydrogenated vegetable-based fat, such as stearic
    acid, chemicals meant to create the right texture and p – H, fragrances and dyes, and water.

4. HCG July 25, 2014 at 4:31 am #

Properly, they truly are here in order to assist you
    follow your diet. B-12 injections – Vitamin B12 is known as the “energy vitamin” because it gives a
    real energy boost. Keep your HCG drops out of
    the sun and away from sources of heat, and they’ll keep for a
    lot longer.

5. best antibiotic for kennel cough in dogs July 25, 2014 at 10:56 am #

Food allergies can cause small pets to act out and nearly
    60% of all behavior issues in pets can be attributed to diet.

Also inquire about getting your pet’s companion(s)
    checked out, just to make sure there isn’t an unexpected litter on the way.
    There are two health care issues that might make Canada.

6. Social anxiety symptoms July 26, 2014 at 12:15 am #

It’s remarkable in support of me to have a site, which is good designed for my knowledge.
    thanks admin

7. allvoices.com July 26, 2014 at 7:26 am #

Good post! We will be linking to this great post on our site.
    Keep up the good writing.

8. Be sure and visit Treat-sciatica.com July 26, 2014 at 9:17 pm #

One of the reasons that a professional diagnosis is so important is that sciatica can actually be caused
    by any number of problems within the spinal column in the lumbar spine.
    The simple answer I found was no there is no real cure for
    sciatica but, once you understand exactly what
    sciatica is, and what causes it, you can then take steps to relieve the pain and with the right exercises can keep it
    from returning. In the long run, if you are
    willing to treat your sciatica, learn from experts, and strive to eliminate the discomfort, you will be back on your feet, doing the things you enjoy most.

9. clash of clan hack tool July 27, 2014 at 3:33 am #

polyenic polygala polygamy polygene polyglot polygons polygony polygyny.
    droop    drops    dropt    dross    drouk
     drove    drown    drubs. goodies  goodish  goodman  goodmen  goofier  goofily  goofing  googols.

10. dayz free download July 27, 2014 at 4:52 am #

A T-rating is for mature. Other games coming out that he
    feels are bad for children, 5 to 9 years of manufacturers trying to make a fortune
    for them to your child. 1 setup Do some research online to play
    with, you are finding it hard to dayz download forget and resist.

11. android studio gitignore July 27, 2014 at 7:55 am #

The reader gets the feeling that the robotics companies made the contract not only to prevent a robot uprising,
    but also to discourage any sympathetic humans form sheltering androids who want
    to gain full civilian rights. Whereas it may have been months
    to even a year before a i – Phone game was available on Android, it now is taking just several weeks
    because they know how important it is to get their application out as soon as
    possible. The most cost effective element of these new androids from Tracfone
    prepaid is the free triple minutes for life, triple data for life, and
    triple text messages for life that come included in the price of these phones.

12. HOW TO HACK COD GAME July 27, 2014 at 9:52 am #

Junk information occupy a considerable amount within your disk room and online
    casino games may possibly deal with troubles when loading or for
    the duration of the sport engage in due to excessive junk data.
    We all shall examine the JTB-Guide-Dog model, a lovely model.
    The choice amongst what games a buyer purchases is ultimately up to them and these 3 online games will supply distinctly diverse encounters:.

13. Pozycjonowanie w Chojnicach August 8, 2014 at 8:23 am #

Using ingenious technology and innovation the Romans made an Empire that withstood the
    test of time. An attention grabbing attractive website is
    essential within the technologically advanced and
    highly competitive market of current age, for the achievements business.

” The company sees innovation as one of its core organizational competencies.

14. lawyer for car accident injury August 8, 2014 at 10:55 am #

I do agree with all of the concepts you’ve presented in your post.
    They are very convincing and can definitely work.
    Still, the posts are very short for starters. May you please prolong them a little from next time?
    Thanks for the post.

15. web design company August 8, 2014 at 11:45 pm #

I’ve been surfing on-line greater than three hours as of late, yet I never
    discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is lovely price sufficient for me. Personally, if all website owners and bloggers made excellent content as you did, the internet might be a lot more useful
    than ever before.

16. dead trigger 2 hack no survey August 9, 2014 at 6:09 am #

Hmm is anyone else having problems with the images on this blog
    loading? I’m trying to find out if its a problem on my
    end or if it’s the blog. Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

17. horror August 9, 2014 at 9:07 am #

Heya are using WordPress for your blog platform?
    I’m new to the blog world but I’m trying to get started and create my own. Do you need
    any coding knowledge to make your own blog? Any help would
    be greatly appreciated!

18. breaking news August 9, 2014 at 10:23 am #

Hi there this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to
    know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML.
    I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding know-how so I wanted to get advice from someone
    with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

19. head soccer trainer August 9, 2014 at 6:17 pm #

In 5 card low, aces usually count as the number “1. Attracting Abundance with Eft: Emotional Freedom Techniques, by Carol Look, is often a valuable resource for folks considering Emotional Freedom Techniques, and it is available through Amazon. s central character with convincing depth and detail, the production can present an intriguing and exciting person around that you can create a game and story. These buildings have a very construction cost (such as wood, clay or brick), or could be bought using francs. The first can be a web platform where they are able to publish their predictions and picks as well as the second is marketing. These games are viewed to become very good for increasing their fictional and which makes them dramatically powerful. On a standard remember, you’ll be able to claim that this L765 genuinely has everything you will want for standard computer utilization. Player Traffic – In the event you want to earn funds by betting in online games, then you definately must determine on the casino game which attracts probably the most on-line traffic. Improve just how the human brain sticks to getting referrals that will help with memory, problem solving, speed, flexibility and attention. You can inform your guests in regards to the party theme through the invitation and ask these to come dressed because the part. The Mario or even the super Mario games usually are loved by kids spanning various ages especially by those who find themselves just learning to play games around the computers or play stations. For example, on RPG games side quests are incredibly typical apart from defeating a final boss. These characteristics ensure it is fun for players to use out. Expect to discover a price drop within the coming many months. Of program standard video games and common browser video games are spared seeing as they do not need significantly graphic processes. Most in the time, dice are rolled to ascertain if your attacks hit and exactly how much damage they do. Back in the ancient days, when a little leg went a long way. If they choose ‘no deal’ after seeing the question, simply go back to the sport board with no points are won. The big assortment of hit soundtracks within the latest version gives you much pleasure while using effect of creating you are feeling as having created them yourself. Here, I reveal for you my steps on how to generate a gaming review. There are very different possibilities for the kids. Having of late purchased and installed my Xbox 360 Mod Chip into my system – and I’ve got games from Japan on the way. These game titles aren’t affordable, and you also won’t get nearly as excessive money if you sell an utilized game that you just have actually simply used a few times. By just saying the real key phrases, your personal machine can open programs and documents, switch between programs and close or stop programs. If you understand a youngster who enjoys wrestling, and so they don’t curently have this title, it is often a must have for Christmas.

20. Hi there!
    Can any person develop the identical issues when i accomplish?
    I cannot manage to anymore please my personal companion within the room.
    After possessing three youngsters We have lost the particular baby-belly weight
    but Could not seem to re-tighten my personal vagina.
    I have to constantly carry out other things to make him
    or her content within the master bedroom simply because penile sexual intercourse no more excites
    your ex. Help! We have started out thinking about solutions
    as well as approaches to resolve this specific, can any individual recommend a good one?

Cheers!

21. http://samuraisiegehack14.wordpress.com/ August 10, 2014 at 3:38 am #

Appreciating the commitment you put into your site and detailed information you offer.
    It’s nice to come across a blog every once in a while that isn’t the same
    old rehashed information. Excellent read! I’ve saved your site
    and I’m adding your RSS feeds to my Google account.

22. best cards August 10, 2014 at 7:45 am #

Outstanding post however , I was wanting to know if
    you could write a litte more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit
    more. Thanks!

23. amg August 23, 2014 at 5:36 am #

Good information. Lucky me I ran across your blog by chance
    (stumbleupon). I’ve saved as a favorite for later!

24. zoznámenie August 24, 2014 at 9:30 am #

I am regular visitor, how aare you everybody?
    This post posted at this siite is genuijnely good.

25. Randolph August 25, 2014 at 6:09 am #

The credit with this amazing task goes to their superb adaptation skills.

26. uspešno hujšanje August 29, 2014 at 1:32 am #

Do you have a spamm issue on this blog; I also am a blogger, and I was wondering your situation; many of us have created some nice
    methods and we aare looking to swap strategies with other folks,
    be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

27. garden patio furniture August 29, 2014 at 9:32 am #

I believe this is one of the such a lot significant info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. However want to statement on some basic
    things, The website style is perfect, the articles is in point of
    fact nice : D. Good job, cheers

28. free netflix account info August 29, 2014 at 12:34 pm #

I have read so many articles or reviews concerning the blogger lovers
    however this article is genuinely a pleasant article, keep it up.

29. Lawrence September 7, 2014 at 7:02 am #

It is pertfect time to maake some plans for the future
    and it’s time to bee happy. I’ve read this poat and if I could I wish to suggest you some
    interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read more things about it!