So let me get this straight:
- Israel is almost 70 years old ? = check
- Is a Jewish country ? = check
- Recognized by the UN as a sovereign state? = check
- Has the strongest conventional armed forces in the Middle East? = Check (stronger than most of European armies as well)
- Has Hydrogen and nuclear weapons? = Check (according to the foreign press, of course)
- More and more countries developing diplomatic relations and close economic relations with Israel? = C-H-E-C-K!!! Just look at China, India and others
- Is Russia still an enemy of Israel? = You kidding? Today, no other world leader has ever had such exposure to Judaism during his childhood and teenage years as Vladimir Putin. The young Putin was very close to his Religious, Talmudic studying Jewish neighbors. Anatoly Rakhlin who was his mentor during his teenage years who saved him from a life of street fights (his parents worked a lot) and had the most impact on him was his Judo instructor who was also Jewish. His favorite school teacher lives in Tel Aviv…he even bought her an apartment here!!!
- Developing close, under the table (but not yet blessed under a Chuppa) relations with Saudi Arabia, UAE and some of the other Arab countries of the Persian Gulf? = Oh yes. It a question of time before they are invited to the Barmitzvah (through the back door. Dear Mustapha: you will be known as the (very) sepharadic cousin Menachem for the evening.)
- Have the Palestinians recognized Israel? = the PLO has which is the biggest political party in West Bank and Gaza, not Hamas and Islamic Jihad
So despite all this, Netanyahu will not make peace with the Palestinians, until they recognize Israel as a Jewish state as well….thats a feeble excuse for not making peace…and its makes Israel looks very weak, because we know that we are a Jewish state and that Israel is a strong country. But to Netanyhau, unless a state that is not even born yet (i.e Palestine) recognizes Israel as a Jewish state, then we could fold…everything could just fall apart…
If you know what you are and are sure and secure about it, you don’t need to beg others to approve you.
Until then the pre-condition that Palestinians must recognize Israel as Jewish state (as well) is a poor excuse. We are not shrinking violets or snow flakes that could melt if they don’t..enough already.