Large scale Israeli offensive (similar to 2008) against Gaza would bring short-term reprieve fo Israel’s citizens but would also mean:
- Long term strengthening of Al Qaeda and extremist Salafist organizations in Gaza
- Justification for Palestinian drive for statehood in the UN
- Help for the international boycott and divestment movement against Israel
- Hurt Israel’s relations with the EU
- Divert attention away from the conflict Syria thus helping Assad.
- Hurt Israel’s relations with Egypt and Jordan.
The citizens of southern Israel deserve peace and security. The continued attacks against them are intolerable. In the search for finding a short – medium term solution, the current Israeli government should apply smart power. This means a mixture of hard and soft power, meaning involving Israel’s diplomats as well.